Saturday, October 15, 2011

Swinging Freedom

  It was the first day of sun after a week of rain. The air was crisp. A lot was going on at the house, so we took a drive into Etna. We drove by the park and the swings called our names. We jerked to a stop in our little stick-shift Honda. The setting sun played on the leaves in such a perfect way, such an autumn way. As we swung back and forth, she asked me if my life was different since I moved to the Valley. A flood of things came to my mind. Everything about my life is different. I told her how much I love it here. I asked her the same question and she spoke of freedom. She spoke of overwhelming freedom to experience God and other people. She spoke of letting things go more easily here. She spoke of her desire to know her Father's desires for her life. She continued, and tears welled up in my eyes. This little girl with a heavy burden on her shoulders was experiencing the healing of this place. She was beginning to see.
   After weeks of impatience and doubt, joy and purpose burst into my heart. Chords of stress and tension and control resolved into melodic peace. I am learning that quiet patience is the key to seeing God's Kingdom come. It does not usually happen when I am talking or demanding, but rather, when I am listening. It is only then that I hear the gentle whisper of the God who desires to be known by each of His children. Maybe I need to listen more.


But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.  
2 Peter 3:8-9

♥ Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment